LiFe Is PrEcIOuS...VaLUe THoSe ArOuNd U...

12 April 2007

MOE Teaching Award Interview

It was an interview that I expected; an interview that I took great pains to prepare for; an interview that I strongly regard....

I had a one week stint working as relief teacher in Woodgrove Primary just few months back. I felt that teaching was a career that was challenging as the students themselves had different background to begin with. Furthermore, they had varying attention span and learning abilities. It was a job that is fulfilling and meaningful; I enjoyed the moments interacting with the kids, the moment teaching them. It was sometime I never ever felt before. The kids even missed me when I left them.

The kids may be mischievous and haughty but they are all so willing to learn. My colleagues are also very friendly and helpful, including the principal and vice-principals. My short but valuable time spent in school triggered my thought of considering teaching as a long term career.

Besides applying for the MOE, I also applied to RSAF, PUB, S'pore Power etc. It took me al least 1 month to finalise the draft for the essay which entails about values and beliefs. I even had my friends to vet it. I applied through PSC and they referred me to MOE for consideration.

Last Thursday, I was invited for an interview. My preparation include extracting information from the website, newspaper articles and career books.

On the day of the interview, I reached there 45 mins earlier. I didn't want to go in first and subject myself to the atmosphere that was stressful and tension-gripping. I took a stroll along the corridor, stood by the window panel and stared into the horizon.

It was only about 11.10am that I finally went to register myself. My schedule time was 11.30pm and the interval was 15 mins. I was so nervous then. My heart was pounding hard, against my body, a feeling that I hate and didn't felt before. I tried to calm myself by looking around, but it didn't help much. I took a quick glance at my notes the last time, closed my eyes, took a deep breath in a bid to ease down.

Time flew and it was 11.30am. Anytime now would be my turn..I watched the clock tick as the seconds by seconds passed by. Then, a familiar chime sounded. It signaled for the next candidate to enter the room. It was me.

I picked up my bag, sling to to my right shoulder and proceeded to the entrance of the interview room. I knocked the door, entered the room and saw a panel of 3 interviewers - 2 sec sch principals and 1 human resource personnel. I greeted them and took a seat.

The first question (Why do you want to teach?) was a spot-on which I answered without much hesitation. You must be really careful in what u say as they will use what u say to question u. For example, if you say that u like teaching, they will ask u why u say that and provide examples.

They also asked questions like:-
  • What would u change if u are given the chance to go back to your sch?
  • How would u tackle the high-end students?
  • How would teaching an express student differs from a NA or NT student?
  • Why didn't u do relief in sec sch?
  • U said you are passionate about teaching and u have not been in other jobs before, how sure are you?
I tried to answer all the questions prosed confidently but I feel that I could have done better with more practice and preparation. My mistake was taking things for granted; believing that the interview was a simple one. The results will be out by end of this month.

If u don't see me posting any blog on this issue means I flunked the interview.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home