LiFe Is PrEcIOuS...VaLUe THoSe ArOuNd U...

19 March 2007

Scholarship Application...

It has been quite a while since I wrote essays. The latest one I drafted was for scholarship application. This is the question that is requested from us:-

"What are some of the values and beliefs you hold strongly to? Please provide examples of how you have demonstrated these in your actions.

You should use the essay to discuss your attributes and experiences that may not be evident through your academic, CCA and school records. Your essay should not exceed 500 words."

It took me almost a month to come up with this essay - from gathering info, brainstorming, researching and all the way to peer editing, drafting etc....And this is my final product:-

Values and beliefs govern and shape one’s behaviour and character. Whenever we encounter an obstacle in life, we can fall back on our set of values and beliefs to guide us through. Thus, a firm set of values and beliefs is essential to help us differentiate what is right and what is wrong. Apart from that, I feel that a person should possess good values and beliefs in order to be successful since decisions are made based on one’s set of beliefs and values.

One of the values and beliefs that I strongly hold to is responsibility. Responsibility means being accountable for your actions, words and the outcome of an event or process. For instance, as a leader in the Army, I am responsible to ensure that high training standards are adhered to as the defence and security of the nation lie in our hands. Hence, I trained my men hard and enforced standards on them. In addition, I am responsible for their safety and well-being. Therefore, a responsible person will be able to resist the temptation to take the easy way out and ensures that objectives and standards are met.

Another value and belief that I strongly believe in is respect. We should not discriminate or ostracise anybody. It is especially crucial for Singaporeans to respect and understand one another in a vulnerable multi-racial society where differences abound. Having mutual respect is tantamount to being sensitive to the needs of others by respecting and considering the thoughts and ideas of others. For example, during the course of completing the Project work in Junior College, my team members had differing views on various issues. What I did as a team leader was to give everyone a chance to voice their thoughts as every single contribution and effort counts. Thus, respecting and acknowledging each other’s worth encourage communications and foster relationship between different people.

Honesty is another value and belief that I strongly regard. By being honest, you earn the reputation and trust from people around you. As a class treasurer, I was responsible for managing the class fund. As a habit, I always record down the transactions that I make, from collecting funds to buying of notes. This ensured transparency and discouraged dishonesty. The trust gained can be evident after some time when my friends perceive me as a honest individual. Hence, honesty earns you reputation from people that you are trustworthy, reliable and responsible.

Hence, it is evident that values and beliefs play a significant role as it provides the moral bearing or direction in every aspect of life. It also portrays the kind of personality and character you have. I feel that responsibility, respect and honesty are essential minimums that everyone should possess in order to be successful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home