LiFe Is PrEcIOuS...VaLUe THoSe ArOuNd U...

16 March 2007

About Myself

I am a student waiting for matriculation in August 2007. I have been offered a place in Faculty of Science, NUS. I chose to study science because I have a burning passion for it. I will be doing a major in chemistry which is my favourite and strongest subject. My interest for science can be evident from my participation in various events like the Singapore Chemistry Olympiad, the Singapore Physics Olympiad, Science Focus organised by NUS, my college’s Science fair and many others. Through these events, I gained invaluable exposure, experiences, insight and knowledge.

In the course of my studies in NUS, I hope to discover where my passion lies in the field of science and graduate with at least a ‘Second upper class’ honours in science. I would also like to be involved in various Student Exchange Programmes organised by NUS to enrich my learning experiences and cultural knowledge.

In the near future, I see myself in a position where I command and work closely with my team members to achieve certain tasks and goals together. I would also like to pursue a post graduate Masters degree in Science to further broaden my knowledge and horizon in a globalised economy.

I completed National Service on 7 Nov 2006, passing out from Armour Training Institute as an Armoured Infantry Section Leader. Under my care were a section of men and an Armoured vehicle which needed constant maintenance. More often than not, I worked for long hours, deprived of sleep with my body full of stench caused by my perspiration. However, I had a positive experience leading my men by being a role model and caring for them. Besides, I contributed to my unit, 40 SAR, achieving an unprecedented high score for ATEC. Going through the tough training under harsh and stressful conditions in National Service had made me stronger physically, emotionally and mentally.

I am able to multi-task and adapt myself quickly to the environment that I am in, usually under stressful conditions. Therefore, I am able to meet tight datelines to produce work punctually. However, the quality and standard of my work is not undermined. In addition, I am a meticulous person who is adept at observing and analyzing.

I tend to expect my friends or colleagues to perform at the same speed and level of efficiency that I always apply to the work I handle. However, I learnt to appreciate that people are different, and they will have their own styles and preferences. Hence, I accommodated to their style of work and try not to impose my preferences on them.

Some of the values that I strongly believe in are respect, responsibility, loyalty, honesty, humility and compassion. In my opinion, I feel that these values have a profound impact on all aspects of our life as it affects our behaviour, character, personality and the way we do things.

My hobbies include swimming, cycling, playing badminton, playing the guitar, surfing the Internet and troubleshooting computer hardware problems. In my leisure time, I took up a Life skills development online course which revolves around the subject of creativity, describing the types of creative thinkers, how to be creative, among other things. In addition, I am contemplating to learn another language during my free time.

No doubt I have encountered setbacks in my life. In the midst of failure, I pick myself up, persevere and learn from my mistakes. In this way, I will be able to achieve success in whatever things I do by overcoming the challenges ahead with a positive attitude.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home