LiFe Is PrEcIOuS...VaLUe THoSe ArOuNd U...

09 April 2006

SchoLarshIp Matters?

I came to know about scholarships through the mass media in my secondary school years. I wasn’t really focused on this particular issue as I had no intent of earning one for myself….

There are always a handful of bright sparks lying in the community who excelled in major exams and the invitation to a decent scholarship is delivered to their doorstep. I can’t help but admire them for their intelligence and diligence. For them, there will be a flurry of companies/organisations ‘chasing’ over them to sponsor their studies and in return, they have to serve their scholarship providers for a pre-determined period of bond. Note that there are also no-bond scholarships available in the market.

More often than not, we hear stories of people breaking the bond for all sorts of reasons, the most common one being lack of interest. Bearing in mind the consequences of terminating the bond/contract, why do these people still do so given an allowance, a full subsidy of the tuition fee and a guaranteed job?

That aside, why is the pre-requisite for most scholarships require 4 ‘A’s and ‘S’ papers? Does this mean that people with 3 ‘A’s are less capable? I really hope that more companies/organisations will consider people with 3 ‘A’s. In this way, both parties stand to gain. With more people applying for a particular scholarship, there will be greater competition. As a result, from the selection process, one can sift out those who are better not just academically but also talented, skilful, rich in character…

After my first 3 month in JJC, I decided to concentrate on 3 ‘A’ level primarily because I don’t intend to get a scholarship at the end of my JC life. I sort of regret. With only 3 ‘A’ level, my choice of scholarship is largely limited. Nonetheless, I will still apply next year after my ORD…I have scaled down to scholarships such as MOE teaching award, MOE teaching scholorship, Nus scholars program, chemical science scholarship, RSAF.

With a scholarship in mind, I can take the burden of economic constraints of my mind and focus on my studies. As much as I want to apply for one this year, I can limited by the amount of time I need to prepare for the interview, a good resume. And this will happen after I ORD. Right now, I try to make good use of my time in army, learning inter-personal skills, time management skills, command and control and stuffs…

It hope isn’t too late for me to apply in the year of dragon next year…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home